← Back to Ice Cream Maker Reviews

Magimix Le Glacier 1.1 Ltr Review

The Magimix Le Glacier 1.1 (or 1.5) Ltr is freezable bowl type ice cream maker that is available for a budget price. Magimix are a French company who introduced the first home food processor to Europe and the UK in the 1970s. For there, they’ve gone on to produce a range of small kitchen appliances, although they are still perhaps best known for their food processors. We’ve been fairly impressed by the budget ice cream makers that we’ve looked at from the likes of Kenwood and Andrew James, so we’re interested to see how the Magimix ice cream maker shapes up alongside.

This is a very simple and basic ice cream maker. As with other ice cream makers of this price, the bowl goes into the freezer for 12 hours or more, freezing the coolant liquid inside. Once that’s done you chill your ingredients, turn on the machine, pour the mixture in slowly and wait for 20 to 30 minutes.

The outside of the machine is plastic, and is available in either white or silver. However, the bowl inside is fully non-stick making it nice and easy to clean. The lid also has a nice wide tube for feeding in the ingredients, so you shouldn’t make too much mess when whipping up your ice cream!

This Magimix Ice Cream Maker also comes armed with a recipe book to get you started.

Magimix Le Glacier 1.1 Ltr Ice Cream Maker Features and Specifications

  • 1.1 Litre non-stick bowl
  • 20-30 minutes preparation time
  • Simple and easy design
  • Wide pouring tube
  • Easy to clean
  • Recipe book included

Customer Reviews and Feedback

As always, what the customer thinks plays a big part in the conclusions we draw about a particular ice cream maker. With the Magimix, we’ve unfortunately identified a rather alarming pattern. While the majority of customers were satisfied, with 70% of people scoring the machine 3 stars or higher, that leaves 30% of customers who were not happy with their purchase. This is the lowest satisfaction rate that we’ve experienced out of any ice cream maker that we’ve reviewed, but don’t worry we’re going to get to the bottom of it right now!

First of all the good. All of the satisfied customers were pleased with the output of this Magimix ice cream maker, and even some of the dissatisfied customers said that the ice cream it produces is very good. If you enjoy soft style Italian ice cream, then you’ll be happy with what the Magimix provides! On the other hand, if you like your ice cream to be more firm, you’ll need to pop it in the freezer for another little while before eating.

Customers also said that the device was very simple to operate, use and assemble. Simply take the bowl out of the freezer, attach the stirring paddle to the lid, and then screw the lid onto the bowl with a 45 degree clockwise turn.

So let’s get to the bottom of why so many customers were unhappy.

The problem seems to hinge around two specific issues, both of which have been reported several times and appear to indicate flaws in the design of the machine.

First of all, there were several reports of people being unable to get the lid to screw on and therefore were unable to switch the power on. It seems that this problem is caused by water getting into a small hole and freezing. This hole is what the lid is supposed to lock into, and this is what causes the problem. This is a design problem, and not ideal, but is easily solved by scraping the ice out or making sure that the bowl is totally dry before placing into the freezer.

We might be able to give Magimix the benefit of the doubt on that one, as the machine is quite cheap. However, there seems to be a more serious issue. A lot of the people who left negative reviews all suffered the same problem. Whilst they said that the ice cream maker worked well 4 or 5 times, and they were very pleased with the results, after a few uses the bowl cracked in the freezer and leaked coolant. This liquid coolant is toxic, and for it to leak out into your freezer where you store food is perhaps the worst possible thing that can happen with this kind of ice cream maker.

Whilst we might be able to overlook this had it happened in one isolated case, we counted 4 reviews from unhappy customers who suffered this problem with coolant leaking out of the machine. That’s 10% of the people who left a review, and when you consider that only a tiny fraction of customers go online to leave a review of the kitchen gadgets that they’ve purchased, we’d bet that this is an indicator of a wider and more common problem.

  • Score: 1 stars

← Back to Ice Cream Maker Reviews